Monday, October 19, 2009

Smelling the Roses...

The coolest thing happened at work tonight. I work at Chick-fil-a, for those of you who don't know that already, and I was working at the window. This meant a redundant, repetitive, cheerful but fake greeting, the exchange of their money for our food, a cheerful but fake good bye, over and over. You know how the drive thru routine goes.

This one particular man drove up and paid for his meal just like any other customer. Then, however, he asked how much the meal of the man behind him cost. (It was $7.77 by the way, I thought that was cool...) He silently paid for that meal too, smiled to himself, and asked me to tell the man behind him to "Have a blessed day and a blessed meal, because the Lord will always provide." Then he drove away. No exalting himself, or acting like he was all that and a bag of chips, or trying to get attention, or watching the reaction of the man behind him, or anything. I got the pleasure of telling that next customer that his meal had been covered by the driver before him. I got to witness his reaction. The man was so taken aback by this random act of kindness, that he offered to pay for the person behind him. This little chain lasted for 4 cars. It was so incredible to watch these people be wowed, surprised, and just loved on! That first man was such a great example of storing up treasures in heaven and being a humble servant of God. Not only did he bless other people, but I think that I benefited from him too, because I saw firsthand how uncommon it is nowadays to just bless someone with nothing in it for the giver. We get so caught up in life, in general, and our busy schedules. I'm alive and a child of God! How can I not be jumping up and down? Now, I am SO determined to do this at the next drive thru restaurant or sit down restaurant I go to, because I want to show God's love to someone too, just like that mystery man.

This really got me thinking about the little things in life mean that do mean so little to us. We take so many things for granted in our busy lives and we never stop to "smell the roses" or just enjoy the little things that God allows in our lives that are meant to just bless us. We eat food because we need it to live. We don't always sit down to taste and appreciate the different flavors, textures, colors, health benefits. (or lack thereof) This may seem odd, but take blood as another example. To us, it can be such a nuisance, getting all over the place when we scrape ourselves. Do we ever stop to think that if we didn't have blood we would DIE? Blood does so much to keep our bodies going, and all we do is gripe when we have to go scrummage in the cabinet for a band-aid.

All I'm saying is stop and smell the roses, remembering that these "smells" come from God. There's tons of different "smells" and plenty more where they came from! Anyway, there's my two cents...

Ephesians 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment