Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hanging Out...Literally

Ok, you knew this was coming at some point. This blog is directed at the ladies. Now, being a woman, I can fully relate to how difficult it is to buy modest clothes for teenagers that don't resemble a sack or other bag-like containers. But God calls us to help our brothers in Christ by not dressing in a manner that could cause them to fall into sin. I know, you're thinking "Have you SEEN the clothes that are being sold at any women's clothing store?!" They are not what I would call modest, by any stretch of the definition. So what is the definition you ask? The dictionary defines modesty as "Not extravant; Having or showing regard for the decencies of behavior, speech, and dress; Humble." Ouch. I always thought that dressing in a modest manner meant no "hanging out" or no spandex (and other tight articles of clothing, of course). According to this definition, things that call attention to myself, in general, are considered to be immodest. Would that include clothes with lots of sequins, super bright colors, words written on the parts of clothing that are supposed to cover my tush, or anything else that calls attention to what I'm wearing? I don't know about you, but I never thought of that. I may be wrong, but I've really begun to think that wearing modest clothes means not exalting myself by wearing clothes that make me stand out, like really flashy clothes (in every sense of the word, ladies. No flashing.) You definitely don't have to agree with me and you are free to think that I finally fell off the rocker. It's just that when I think of a humble person, I think of someone doing what the Lord wants them to, but not in a way that everyone else can see. The same goes for clothes, in my humble opinion. I'll leave it at that.

I hear alot of girls say, and I quote, "Um, like its not my problem if some guy can't keep his mind out of the gutter. I can wear like whatever I want to and it is his problem if he thinks bad stuff about my body." Or worse, I have even heard "Um God GAVE it to me, so I am going to flaunt it, duh." There are definitely some exceptions, but there aren't many things that frustrate more than hearing these arguments. Girls, imagine if one of your teachers came in one day with this huge bag of hershey kisses. (or whatever your favorite candy is.) Suppose he or she put some of that candy right on your desk, directly in front of your face. Then she told you not to look at it, touch it, think about it, think about looking at it, think about touching it, or think about thinking about it. Can you honestly tell me you would not even glance at or think about it? I mean, honestly? I don't think I need to explain this example much further, because you get my point. As for the second argument, yeah He gave it to you. For the man you will someday marry, NOT every man who has two eyeballs! (or one, for that matter...) The Bible compares an immodest woman with a ring in a ping's NOSE. Gross. Why would you want guys giving you the wrong kind of attention? Don't you want a guy to show interest in you for your personality and not for you body? I rest my case.

Now, I understand how difficult it is to find clothing that glorifies God. It is so difficult. But if you make an effort by to obey Him, by searching through all those short shorts and low-cut shirts, He will bless you. You will be able to find stuff, I promise! You will be showing respect for yourself and guys will respect you for that too. I have one word for you: Camisole. They will be your best friend. Ladies, cover yourselves up for God. There's my two cents...

Proverb's 22:11
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful for your blog! I can just TELL that God is going to do something TOTALLY AWESOME through you. :-D

    ReplyDelete